Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thrift Tip: Shoe polish in a pinch

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Capitol Hill Style, one of DC's few seriously substantial fashion blogs. A few weeks back, Belle posted about a trick she's learned: Pledge or other furniture polish sprays do a pretty good job if you can't fit in a shoe shine.

I decided to try it out on my new riding boots.


It may be impossible to tell, but the boot on the right has the polish treatment, and the one on the left hasn't been buffed yet. It's tough because these are new boots and they were in pretty good shape. But after a few occurrences of winter weather and the salt and grime that comes with it, I wanted to give these boots a once-over to keep them looking new. 

The best part? I used the store-brand furniture polish that I found tucked in the back of the cabinet. Score!

Thanks, Belle, for passing on this tip!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a perfect tip, as one of my resolutions is to re-discover forgotten items in my wardrobe and/or search for vintage/used finds rather than buy new. Cheers!

Quarter Life said...

Sometimes you need someone else to knock you over the head and clue you in to these tricks you should have realized yourself. :)

Post a Comment