Monday, June 14, 2010

Field Trip: Martha's Vineyard Boys and Girls Club Second Hand Store



10 North Summer Street
Edgartown, MA 02539
(508) 627-5683

While vacationing on Martha's Vineyard last week, I had the chance to pop into a bunch of posh, nautical-themed shops. But a convenient turn down a side street led me to the Martha's Vineyard Boys and Girls Club Second Hand Store. The shop, which houses random goods on the first floor and clothing in the basement, is small. But it was bustling.

It's an honest-to-goodness old-school thrift store for a good cause, which I love. But it really means you have to keep your eyes open, or you'll miss the worthy gems among the rubble. MC was on a desperate hunt for some vintage barware, but what little we found here was not worth hauling back to DC with us. He did get a nice old set of ice tongs to add to his bar goods.

The clothing and accessories downstairs yielded little, as the items available were clearly from a certain set of island folks (hint: the older ones). However, the golf clubs stored down there turned out to be free that day. Guess they had a surplus.

I did, however, find for myself a lovely old train case. Perfect as my carry-on for my flight back to DC. Check out this beauty! Made in the US of A (I think)!


If you're in Edgartown (and you should be in Edgartown, it's lovely), check out this second hand shop and say hi to some friendly locals.


I felt like an old-timey movie star hauling this thing around the airports!





0 comments:

Post a Comment