Monday, April 26, 2010

Thrift Tip: For the Menfolk

Reader Neil sent us a question that I have heard echoed from the Y chromosomes in my life lately. Read below for my advice in our first reader-submitted question!

Hi,

I ran across your blog while reading about one of Jim Brady's new news sites. Basically, I'm a 29 year old guy who finally decided to make an effort to stary dressing nice. However. I'm a bargain hunter. I love the thrill of the chase, love doubling up coupons and more.

With clothes though, I have struggled.

Despite excessive Googling and asking questions on Styleforum, no one seems to want to share good thrift stores in DC. My guess is because they are protecting their coveted spots.

Any suggestions? Im open to NoVa or DC. I have a car, and am willing to drive a bit. I'm also open to all other suggestions for filling my wardrobe with quality essentials on the cheap.
Thanks!
-Neil

Hi Neil,


Guys have a tough time finding good places to shop secondhand, mostly because the selection is severely limited in the higher-end shops. I would recommend checking out Mustard Seed in Bethesda and Posh on 18th street between Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle. Both stores have a nice selection for men, although at Posh you're getting bigger brands and slightly higher prices.

As for thrift stores, I'm a huge Value Village fan. There are just racks and racks of clothing. Goodwill is pretty good for men, too. Both of these chains have locations around the area--Goodwill I think does discount day on Tuesday, and Value Village is on Monday in most of them around here. A good rule of thumb with thrift (as it can get a little out of hand) is to ask yourself, "Would I pay full price for this item if I could?" If you're buying it because it's $3, then put it back. But if you're buying the piece because you like it and think it will be a great addition to your wardrobe, then go for it.

Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment