Thursday, November 12, 2009

Field Trip: Georgia Avenue Thrift Store


6101 Georgia Ave NW
Washington, DC 20011
(202) 291-4013

The Georgia Avenue Thrift Store is a good starting place for a new thrifter. It's small, which will prevent that overwhelming feeling that can take over upon walking into one of the area's larger stores. But there's still plenty to look at, for even the most experienced of shoppers. The store offers two discounted color tags every day, and regular price items were reasonable when I visited. There are some vintage diamonds in the rough, including a long coat from Yugoslavia. And yes, I consider anything from the time of Yugoslavia to be vintage.



My favorite find of the night was a pair of gold Steve Madden heels, snagged for 7 bucks. "You just had to have the gold shoes," commented an older man behind me in line to check out. I told him they looked great, but I was worried about keeping my balance in them.




He peered around me to size up the heels in my hand. "No, you'll be fine," he said with a smile. "They're very nice."

Thumbs up to the old man with style.

1 comments:

Andrew W said...

Good for dudes too. They sometimes have funny t-shirts, and I got a super bright yellow 80s GW sweatshirt there. Plus once my buddy found a Vancouver Grizzlies jersey -- which is funny, because they haven't been an NBA team for awhile.

Post a Comment