Thursday, March 25, 2010

Field Trip: Junction

1510 U St., NW
Washington, DC 20009
202-483-1261
www.junctionwdc.com

This field trip is first in a series I'm calling "Spring on U Street." Last weekend I took a walk in the neighborhood with Junction as my goal destination, but I also found two (two!) other stores on my journey of just a few blocks. And so, I bring you a three-part series, a trilogy if you will, of stores from ye olde U Street.

It's quite possible to miss Junction if you're walking at a good clip, as the store is down a few steps on the lower level. Once you enter, you would never know that you're in what's technically probably a basement. It's like a time warp to somewhere very friendly, funky, and cozy.

Junction is not a consignment shop--strictly vintage and resale here. Manager Megan presided over the store during our visit, and she was helpful without being overbearing. If you're one of those people (like me) who likes to browse around quietly and tends to shy away from salespeople, you'll do fine with Megan.

The store has a selection of menswear, including a summery 3-piece suit that a fine young gent was trying on during my visit. I hope he bought the suit, and I hope he wears it to a wedding, because he will look fly. (I should have told him that.)

It's a smallish store with a limited selection, so if you're looking for something specific, it may be easiest to call ahead. If you're just browsing, you'll have a great time. There were some great coats and luggage on winter clearance during our visit, there are even a few $5 bins if you keep a lookout.

We just missed it, but Junction was just featured in MYiLIVE.com's Boutique Blowout auction alongside DC retailers including Simply Soles, Fresh, and Rue 14. Toward the end of the sale, brands including Versace, Nicole Miller, and Nanette Lepore were still available, at prices that ranged widely; prices for vintage jewelry items started at about $20 in the online sale. As for the in-store prices, there's also a pretty big range, from the $5 bins, to sale items, to ~$100 items. This is quality stuff, I promise.

One last fun thing about Junction- they're having a contest. Take a photo of you in your favorite Junction outfit or other vintage gear and send it to junctioncontest@gmail.com with your contact information before April 7. I'm not sure what you win, but the glory itself would be nice, wouldn't it?

P.S. Junction was rated as the #2 vintage shop in DC in the City Paper's Best of DC poll. We cannot argue with the people who have spoken!

After the jump, more photos from our visit.





I'm a sucker for a beautiful tie.


"Cybill Shepherd says, 'You can't have too many scarves!'" Well said, Cybill.

Also a developing sucker for: luggage.

Had I thought about it at the time, I could have tried this for Artini this weekend.
(I've got something else up my sleeve, don't worry.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment