Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thrift Tip: Cover Up


While Christmas shopping at the mall last night, I took a detour into Forever 21 because it's one of the few "new clothes" stores I can't resist.  I grew suspicious as I saw rack after rack of short and cropped jackets.  Are bolero jackets really back in already? I thought as I thumbed through the racks.  Really?


And then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught this little number shown on the right and gasped.  An honest-to-goodness shrug, front and center in the fancy section.  I picked it up and waved it around for my roommate to see.  "It's a shrug!  Shrugs are back!" I cried a little too loudly.

I'll admit that I'm a big shrug fan because I'm always cold.  If I'm out in a strapless dress, I want something handy to cover my arms.  And, as a girl with some length, I can get away with wearing a bolero jacket or a shrug.

I'll be keeping an eye out for tiny little sleeve numbers when I make my thrift rounds this winter.  You can certainly find these on the racks at every time of year.  You want to know why?

Because we all bought a ton of shrugs about five years ago.
And then we got embarrassed and put them in the back of the closet for a while.
And then, we finally pulled them out to donate to our favorite organizations.
And now they're sitting there at the thrift store, waiting for you to pick up on the trend all over again.

I know fashion repeats itself, but I'm having some serious deja vu right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment