Thursday, November 19, 2009

Field Trip: The Remix

645 Pennsylvania Ave SE
Washington, DC 20003
(202) 547-0211
www.remixvintage.com


The lesson I learned last weekend is that one should always have her camera on hand in case an opportunity to peek into a vintage shop arises. I wouldn't have known about The Remix if it weren't for a girl handing out coupons at Eastern Market as I strolled around with my main squeeze. But after we had finished our errands, we ducked in to take a look around the narrow shop.

I instantly noticed the quality of the items that hung neatly on racks, with winter coats near the front to remind us of the approaching colder weather. The Remix had a good crowd but it was still easy to take a look around at the items ranging from about $30 upwards to $200. But with my coupon in hand--good for 20% off an item--I wasn't as put off by the price tags as I am in some stores. Plus, the chick on the coupon is on every price tag in the store, so she melted my heart a little every time I turned over a tag.

The Remix seems small until you descend the stairs to a second sales floor that includes women's shoes and a good selection of men's items. If you're planning a retro wedding or want to look especially dapper for the prom, you can get a sweet suit or tux shirt down there. And if you make it past the menswear, there are some cute home furnishings and accessories to be had.

As an added bonus, there is a special alcove at the Remix that requires employee assistance to explore. You know what that means: Really Good Stuff. I didn't ask to see anything beyond the velvet rope, but I had a good feeling as I peered in. If you're looking for something special, check it out.

Eastern Market is a fun part of town with a good vibe, and the warm fuzzies transfer over into the Remix. Even if you can't afford any Really Good Stuff, it's a fun trip down memory lane.

In Other News: eBay's Mobile Boutique is visiting Union Station today and tomorrow, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. This worker bee won't get a chance to check it out, but the event includes personal shoppers and gift-giving tips tied into the amazing buying and selling site. A bargain-hunter's dream? I think so! If you get a chance to stop by, don't be shy: quarterlife202@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment